Appropriate levels of privacy and confidentiality are maintained in the collection, disclosure and storage of consumers’ personal information.
Ability Housing will:
- Only collect and store information about the consumer that is directly relevant to effective service delivery and Ability Housing’s duty of care responsibilities.
- Advise the consumer and their family that Ability Housing needs to record and store information appropriate to the support that Ability Housing provides.
- Advise the consumer and their family of their right to access the information that Ability Housing keeps regarding the consumer.
- Direct all requests to access information from consumers and/or families to the Managing Director.
- Ensure that, when disclosing any personal information to another approved party, only relevant information is disclosed.
- Seek the written consent of the consumer or family prior to obtaining information from or releasing information or images to any other source.
- Ensure that personal information is stored securely.
- Ensure that only those Ability Housing employees who have a legitimate need to access the above information will be granted access.
- Ensure that Ability Housing holds a consumer’s personal information only as long as it is relevant to the delivery of effective services and Ability Housing’s duty of care obligations.
- Promptly investigate, remedy and document any consumer grievance regarding privacy, dignity or confidentiality in accordance with Ability Housing’s Policy on Complaints and Disputes.
- Ensure that consumers’ names or other identifying information is not displayed on whiteboards or notice boards that may be open to view by other consumers or the general public.
- Periodically review consumer files to ensure that personal information contained in them is still relevant.